Sunday, August 13, 2006

Purses as Gifts!


Purses as Gifts!

The girls! From left to right, Angie, Myself, Niki and Michelle. Angie and I visited Niki and Michelle. Up here I got to see the purse complety done (I was unable to sew up the seams so I gave it to her to do)

Purses as gifts is one of the greatest ideas around. Today pureses are so...well...they change quicker than the colors of a camalion. We all have our own perferences for purses, and we don't always have that option to purchase that perfect purse...so in my mind...make one. That way you can have excatly what you want for a purse.

A good friend of mine is in LOVE with Fall Out Boy, just adores the music, especially Pete Wenzel, the bassist. So, my best friend Jennifer and I decided to make a purse with Pete on it for her for her b-day. Using inspiration from Debbie Stollers' Pattern "Poster Boy" we were able to complete a very beautiful purse. In order to avoid sevearl problems that were comming up in our orgional purse we recemmend the following for any purse making experience that includes using pics on front!

The Pete Purse!

How to make a great purse! TIPS!

1/wrap your yarn every few stiches if you use intarisa! Otherwise it will be too tight!
2/use singlar needles instead of double pointed...at first that seems crazy but then u are only dealing with one side.
3/FELT this! Sew it all together and then put it in the washing machine. Becuase u are using felting, use a size biggar needle to get a bigger purse...:)
4/make the straps thicker than you would origionaly think. These straps were only 13 stiches long...make them like 20. That way they are extra strong.
5/use the photoshop recemendations, but if you can't get a hold of them, use graph paper to do the dirty work

I am looking for photos of William Beckett to put on my purse:) I am hoping to make it large enough so I can felt it and create a beautiful creation...again! In the meantime I am working on several other projects, including a cami for myself! I wish everybody the best of luck on their projects! Please let me know if you come up with anymore purse suggestions.

Emmy

No comments: